MB-trac questions from Norway

Hello,

I do not write and read verry well in German so i write in English.

I`m thinkig of buying a MB-Trac 700 1981. It`s a former army owned trac, has been used on a airport.

It does not have any PTO at all, anybody knows if i can fit a PTO ? What do i need ? Hard to get parts ?

Also the brake pedal had no resistance when i started up the trac, but it had been standing for a long time and since there where a bit lack of water i did not want to keep it running. How will the pedal respond if the airtanks are empty ?

Thanks in advance for the help =)

Regards Eivind, Norway

[Bild: 50_-229643933.jpg]
[Bild: 50_-1626152186.jpg]

Hallo Eivind,

welcome in our forum, let me try to explain:

A PTO can be mounted, but You need the PTO-gear, the cardan shaft, the bearing bracket and the PTO shaft. With the same gear, a front PTO can be driven, the gear has flanges for both.
But I assume, the gear and the other parts will be very expensive new. Maybe You will get it used. Sometimes those parts are offered in ebay.

The brake system of the 440.162 (MBtrac 700) is hydraulic type with air pressure assistance.
The difference of the brake pedal performance with/without air pressure is only a little and the tractor must brake without air pressure only needing a little more power at the pedal. So it seemes to have a malfunction.
Maybe You only have to evacuate the air from the system.

Try to find out, what type of brake power assist unit is mounted. Later built tractors had it mounted under the hood in one unit with the master cylinder, older ones had it behind the drivers cab in the frame. This older version has only a master cylinder under the hood and an additional slave cylinder behind the cab. This one also may need evacuating.

All brake parts needed can be ordered including repair-kits for the brake power assist unit or master cylinder and wheel cylinder. Master and wheel cylinder may be replaced by new ones if the cylinder surface is corroded.

Please feel free to ask for further questions!

Good luck!

Holger

406.120 '72, 440.161 '75, 440.167 '83

Die 3 MBtrac-Grundsätze:
1.) Ein MBtrac ist zwar nicht alles, aber ohne MBtrac ist alles nichts!
woraus folgt:
2.) Ein Leben ohne MBtrac ist möglich - aber sinnlos...
doch zum Glück für die vielen Nicht MBtrac Besitzer:
3.) Nur wer einen MBtrac besitzt, weiß, was allen anderen fehlt...

Thanks for the fast and helpfull reply!

How much is a trac like this worth ?
It has only 2000hrs / 7000km.

Would PTO parts and front lifting arms from a 1000 fit ?

Hallo Eivind,

sorry, but I forgot to think about some additional facts/problems:

You will have to find out, what type of clutch is mounted!
There are two versions: duplex clutch and single type.
I assume it will be a single type. In this case You need a PTO gear for this clutch type!
And!!!
Some MBtrac in the army were used as plane tractors and have built in a torque converter.
In this case You have only a 4speed gear and 25km/h or a 7speed gear and 40km/h.
For agricultural jobs this is not very much…

There are two types of front threepoint linkage. The 1-cylinder type fits all MBtrac but has only a capacity of about 1200kg. The 2-cylinder types fit from MBtrac 700 up to 1100 (441) and has a cap. of about 2 tons..

The pto gear is relating to the clutch type, but MBtrac 440.162, MBtrac 441, Unimog 403, Unimog 406, Unimog 416 are the same. Maybe it will be easyer to find a used single clutch matching PTOgear from a Unimog, because single clutch type MBtrac are rare. Unimog must be about 1968 and later because the gear was completely modified at this time. (MBtrac and newer Unimog have built in release "G" of the gear. The name of the gear is UG2/27(G)). Earlyer Unimog have built in release "F" of UG2/27. Release F does not work in any MBtrac. Newer MBtrac 440 from 1982 (new driver cab version) has a quite different gear (UG2/30).

Greetings

Holger

...meanwhile some additional questions about this appeared. I will find out and tell You, when I'm sure about it.

Die 3 MBtrac-Grundsätze:
woraus folgt:

http://www.finn.no/finn/b2b/agriculture/...e=16543350

More pictures, maby you can see something out of them ?

Thanks again for your help!

Hallo Eivind,

as far as I can see, the tractor misses the gear lever for to split the speeds but has the lever for the upper group.
So it seems to have the (only) 7speed gear mentioned above.
If it has the torque converter or not is not to see in the pics but I would beg You to ask the dealer or owner.

So it seems as if You have 7speeds, torque converter, single clutch.
In this case You need the PTO-gear matching this facts.
I'm not quite sure, but assume that in this case only a 1speed PTO-gear (540/min) is possible.

Greetings
Holger

Die 3 MBtrac-Grundsätze:
woraus folgt:

Is it possible to find out such things from a serial number ?

Does this tracs have valve for trailer brakes ? Hydraulic or pneumatic ?

Hello Eivind,

"your" Trac on the pictures have definitely a pneumatic trailer brake.

But also a hydraulic trailer brake can be mounted addiotionally when you ned it.

Now there are only a pneumatic trailer brake on the vehicle.

I think, the 700 may be one of the last one builted in the old style with gear shifting in the middle.

80.000 ,- NOK are about 10.000 €, am I right or not?

How you can start the engine in your hard winter? Dou you have an engine heater or something like this?

Best regards from Bavaria

Michl

Mb trac - was besseres gibts nicht

We do use engine heaters and special winter diesel.
We can get down to -35 at the coldest.
About 10.000 Euros

The dealer gave me this chassi number 44016200078635

I`m sorry to ask so much, but verry hard for me to search in this forum.

Do i need an aditional gearbox to the PTO`s ? How does this connect to the gearbox in the trac ? Or do i need to replace the whole main gearbox in the trac ?

I have managed to track down som PTO shafts and bearings from a 1000. Is the flanges and hole patterns the same only longer shafts or are they completely different ?

Hallo Eivind,

the PTO gear is mounted on the left side above the front wheel drive shaft.
It has two flanges on one shaft, one in front, one on the rear side.
The shift lever can do "only rear PTO", 0, "only front PTO", "both PTO".
In Your case the main gear must have a blind flange (green coloured)
where the PTO gear has to be mounted.
[Bild: attachment.php?aid=7669]
[Bild: attachment.php?aid=7670]
[Bild: attachment.php?aid=7671]

The upside lever makes the PTO run as mentioned above, the rear side lever shifts 540/min to 1.000/min (if possible)

Greetings
Holger

Angehängte Dateien Thumbnail(s)

Die 3 MBtrac-Grundsätze:
woraus folgt:

Thanks again!

Do you know if there is a way to find more info about the trac from the chassi number / Serial number mentioned above ?

Hi Eivind,

the Datacard for the VIN You've written above is available. I will send it to You in PDF type tomorrow, because my Acrobat distiller at home has a malfunction.
As far as I can read the EPC (electronic parts catalogue), the tractor has the torque converter.

Please give me Your email adress in a mail or PN. (a GIF image of the datacard can be sent today)

The price of about 10.000,-EUR is too high in my opinion!

Greetings
Holger

Die 3 MBtrac-Grundsätze:
woraus folgt:

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste